Though often neglected medically & legally, child neglect is literally the most lethal of all forms of child maltreatment. This presentation will discuss the medical evaluation & diagnosis of child neglect, especially nutritional neglect & unsafe environments. The presenter will discuss the less obvious medical aspects of neglect, including the dangers of refeeding syndrome & potential life long health & developmental problems neglect may lead to. These concepts include:
- Failure to thrive as a concept vs. & a diagnosis.
- Medical mimics & causes of malnutrition
- Refeeding syndrome
- Potential life long effects of child neglect & malnutrition.
This is part of a 3-part series:
- Sept 24: Medical Aspects of Child Neglect (this webinar)
- Oct 20: The Prosecution of Child Neglect Cases
- Dec 1: Understanding Sexual Abuse Examinations in Investigation and Prosecution Efforts