Today’s public information officer (PIO) has to juggle providing timely, accurate information to the public while protecting the integrity of sensitive investigative information in the face of crisis. The Public & Governmental Affairs Office for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the criminal investigative agency for the state, is no different. The summer of 2020 proved to be their busiest and most challenging yet: In May 2020, a cellphone video from a South Georgia incident that occurred in February went viral, leading to demonstrations and inquiries from the media and the public from around the world. Later that month, events in Minneapolis sparked civil unrest worldwide, including Georgia. During the height of these protests, another incident occurred in Atlanta that led to even further unrest…all during a global pandemic.
Anyone attending this webinar will learn:
- Key steps to take to prepare for a crisis. It’s not a matter of ‘if’ a PIO will deal with a crisis but ‘when’ a PIO will meet a crisis head-on.
- Messaging strategies for high-profile incidents.
- After action items to handle post-crisis.
- “Ms. Nelly Miles delivered a PHENOMENAL PRESENTATION AND HER EXPERTISE AND KNOWLEDGE SHE SHARED IS SO VALUABLE, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I truly enjoyed the “Lessons Learned” tips, video, and her experiences in her profession of public affairs. She has a radiant personality also, and her delivery keeps us glued to this webinar. Also, the case she spoke about is relevant and important. I rate her a 20 out of 10! and a million stars!” — Nicole
- “I thought it was well planned and contained great content!!” — Phillip
- “Having actionable steps that actually apply to the topic of the webinar was amazing. …This was fantastic, on topic, and very helpful.” — Samantha
- “Very detailed with case studies to increase our BODY OF KNOWLEDGE” — RAGHAVENDER
- “It was absolutely thrilling to see a real-life example of correcting misinformation and staying on the PIO case. I recall this investigation very well. All who were involved did a great professional job of resolving what had been an entirely botched local investigation. Yet, there was no evidence of finger-pointing, just sticking with the facts. Great Job, Nelly and team.” — Mary
- “This presentation was clear, well-organized, and full of useful information. I’ll definitely be re-watching and referring to the course materials. Excellent job and thank you, Nelly!” — Kristen
- “Leading with humanity and the awareness of how others are shaping the narrative in real-time cannot be underestimated. I liked the direct approach to dealing with trolls. It was amazing to see how much ground was covered by GBI’s relatively small team of PIOs. Kudos! Thank you!” — Karen
- “Extremely relevant information, fantastic delivery, and very easy to implement suggestions!” — Kim