Ethics is one of those concepts that we all know at the back of our minds, but rarely are there active discussions on how it impacts our decisions – both on the individual or the organizational level. On this session, Al Cobos of Dychelon LLC aims to unpack the link between organizational and personal ethics, how these guide decision making and shape policies, and the factors that play a role in it.
Al has more than three decades of experience in law enforcement with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD). He is currently the LASD’s Sergeant for its Training Bureau’s Education-Based Discipline/Leadership Unit. He has also taught at the University of Phoenix, Southern California Campus where he garnered awards for his research course development in managing teams.
Topics he covered are:
- The different definitions that may apply to the concept of ethics.
- Ethical questions to consider that looks into:
- People’s motivations to take the ethical options in their decision and actions.
- The relationship between ethics and law and how these two concepts are not mutually exclusive.
- The process of learning and teaching ethics.
- The interdependence of individual and organizational ethics and how ethical practice in one fortifies the other.
- The organizational characters and elements that determine the ethical practices observed within.
- A rundown of the basic rules that perpetuate ethical behavior through non-harm, improving own and other’s circumstances, respect, fairness and upholding the value of one’s work and the difference it makes.
- Recognizing whether an agency is ethical by looking at how it handles controversies, treats employees, interacts with the public, its promotional practices and disciplinary process.
- Understanding the three ethical standards from which most of our perspective, decisions, and behaviors are based upon.
- The most common situations that create ethical dilemmas.
- Values that must always be taken into account to ensure ethical decision-making.
- A sample template for decision making with steps and questions that consider ethical elements.
- Sample cases were provided to better explain ethical rules, ethical dilemmas, and ethical behavior considerations in real-life context.
Questions from the audience were about:
- The difference between unethical and bad decisions.
- Resources on ethics mentioned in the webinar.
- The difference between ethics and law and the dynamics between these two concepts.
- Congruence in internal and external ethics.
- The ethical behavior considerations in the movie Lone Survivor and its outcomes.
- How ethics can help law enforcement agencies impact public perception.
Other Webinars with this Speaker:
- June 17: Motivation and Meaning for Law Enforcement Personnel
- Sept 1: The Connection between Personal & Organizational Ethics (this webinar)
- Jan 27: Motivational Conversations for Supervisors
- March 16: Motivational Conversations for Investigators
- May 6: Motivational Conversations for Community Building
Resources and Handouts
- Team Builder Series Handout
- Live Training Options
- Ethical Intelligence: Five Principles for Untangling Your Toughest Problems at Work and Beyond, by Bruce Weinstein
- It’s the Manager: Gallup Finds the Quality of Managers and Team Leaders is the Single Biggest Factor in Your Organization’s Long Term Success by Jim Clifton
- Organizational Ethics 4th Ed. by Craig Johnson
- Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
- Lone Survivor (movie)
- Gallup Workplace Website: It’s the Manager
- “That was possibly the most illuminating, useful, and satisfying webinar that I have ever attended (ethics with respect to the individual and their relationship to an organization). Thank you for choosing to be the medium through which I was exposed to it.” — Murray
- “Topic is spot on…Thanks.” — Victoria
- “It was great how the presenter broke down how each group is responsible for ethical decisions.” — Sandy
- “I am a retired police chief and teach ethics to in-service law enforcement officers. Its great stuff. thank you for the availability.” — Becky
- “The analogy used for the difference between legal and ethical obligations.” — Paula
- “Great webinar, very informative.” — Pedro
- “Insightful perspectives.” — Martin
- “Great explanation of ethics within the workplace… is it ethical or legal? Is it ethical or the right thing to do? I appreciated the break down of the 5 ethical behaviors to consider, the questions asked in the polls, and the break down of the different types of ethics.” — Melanie
- “Great information, thank you for taking time to speak with us. I am looking forward to the next webinar next year!” — Dawnette