People can get subjected to challenging environments, especially, when their line of work is where such instances are normal occurrences. Careers dealing with emergency and disaster response like firefighters and law enforcement are more likely to experience pressure and stress brought about by the very nature of their job.
Maintaining holistic health is one way to cope with pressure and stress. Amy Morgan of Academy Hour is the resource speaker for this webinar and she emphasizes the importance of maintaining holistic health as it reflects on how we all show up to the world and impacts our relationships and demeanor at work. For law enforcers, as a group that the public depends on to guarantee safety – where they are on the giving side, they demand more to ensure and maintain all aspects of their health are in best condition. In turn, they are more equipped to serve and protect the public as their job requires and to the best of their abilities.
Amy provides a presentation that allows the attendees to reflect on their self-care and wellness through self-assessment activities. She also defined strength and health and discussed what causes and the progression of the and ways to safeguard it.
Some of the specific areas covered and provided in Amy’s presentation are as follows:
- Defining strength and how it relates to health.
- A diagnostic self-assessment activity to gauge the attendee’s energy and well-being.
- The different types and aspects of health that constitute holistic health.
- How emotional, mental and physical health manifests in day-to-day transactions.
- The different factors that weaken emotional, mental and physical health.
- How sleep deprivation can single-handedly damage emotional, mental and physical health.
- What triggers trauma, the reactions that manifest after being subjected to trauma, and the types of trauma (i.e. Short-term and long-term (PTSD).
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs and which parts of it are highly impacted in high-pressure careers like law-enforcement.
- Recommended techniques to work on each aspect of our holistic health needs.
- What cognitive dissonance is and how it contributes to stress.
- The progression from anxiety to stress to burnout.
- Anxiety, signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders.
- The different forms of treatments available to deal with anxiety depending on its severity.
- What is stress and the different causes that lead to stress.
- The Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale that aims to measure an individual’s stress level for a specific period of time.
- Burnout as the result of anxiety and stress and its signs, and how to recover from burnout.
- Careers where occupational burnout is high.
- Individual assessment of one’s stress levels based on the Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale.
- Resources to know and reach out to in case of anxiety attacks, stress and burnout instances.
- The importance of prevention in holistic health and ways to reverse and treat anxiety, stress and burnout.