Law enforcement and public safety entities are highly reliant on communication technologies to ensure that their work pans out successfully. This webinar unpacks the intricacies of Radio over IP (RoIP) and how this technology can help bridge gaps and extend existing capabilities.
This session’s instructor is Paul Whitfield, the Innovation and New Product Development Lead at Omnitronics. He has more than 30 years of experience developing software utilized across various industries. He played a key role in the development of RoIP technology in mission-critical applications.
This course’s discussion includes:
- An introduction to RoIP and the goal it aims to fulfill in improving the communication and tech space.
- The different networks that RoIP integrates with.
- Relating and differentiating RoIP and Voice over IP (VoIP).
- Instances when RoIP can be utilized – replacing specific technology, extending network coverage and connectivity, facilitating dispatch, integrating different frequencies and technologies, and voice recording.
- The benefits of implementing RoIP technology in terms of reduced costs, greater flexibility in connectivity, remote access to devices, ensuring technology reliability, and future-proofing.
- The standards that are used in RoIP.
- Some of the issues one may encounter with RoIP in terms of delays in transmission of audio, echoes and packet loss that affect audio quality, and networking issues.
- Things to take into account when implementing RoIP.
- Other information to consider related to RoIP and its functions and limitations.
Questions from the audience are about:
- Omnitronics’ compatibility with specific systems, applications, technologies, and devices.
- How VPN can resolve networking-related issues.
- Privacy and encryption concerns in RoIP.
- Considerations when switching over to RoIP.
- Grants and other funding sources for RoIP technology.
- The benefits of RoIP to mention when trying to secure leadership for buy-in.
Resources and Handouts
- Omnitronics Dispatch Connects Yazoo County Authorities
- Omnitronics DX-Altus Provide Radio Choice to Caton Police Department
- Leased Line Replacement in LMR using Radio over IP
- Trenton PD Redies its Dispatch Center for 21st Century Technology
- Understanding RoIP Networks
- “Explaining it in English, not in a bunch of technical acronyms. It will be easier for me to explain this concept to others.” — Cathy
- “Very interesting and very well presented. Thank you!” — Kathy
- “Very informative.” — Phyllis
- “Good info.” — Ronald