In a profession inundated with public criticism, it takes perseverance and internal factors to remain motivated. Job satisfaction may be elusive but Dr. Obed Magny is back on the Justice Clearinghouse to lay down the facts when it comes to enhancing and keeping workforce engagement and satisfaction.
Dr. Magny is a police officer with over 15 years of experience, a founding member of the American Society of Evidence Based Policing (ASEBP), a National Institute of Justice LEADS (Law Enforcement Advancing Data and Science) scholar alum, a Policing Fellow at the Police Foundation and is the Chief Executive Officer of Magny Leadership Consulting Company. His topics of expertise are in the fields of motivation, job satisfaction, diversity, trauma, and emotional intelligence.
Specifics tackled on this discussion are:
- The state and trends observed in police officers and agencies related to the scrutiny they’re subjected into.
- Two case examples that highlight what is happening to officers in real-life which leads them to become dissatisfied and demotivated.
- Understanding the expectations from law enforcement in society and how these contribute to the stresses they carry in the job and impacts their job satisfaction and retention.
- How proper training, sufficient resources, opportunities for development, and effective leadership are necessary for justice professionals to be successful in their role.
- The woeful reality we are in where confidence in policing is at a 30-year low.
- The difficulties that law enforcement agencies are experiencing with less recruitment, growing attrition, and forecasted mass retirement of those hired in the 90s through a COPS grant.
- Reflecting on the best and worst qualities that employees see in their superiors and its relevance to the reason why people leave their jobs.
- The reasons why employees leave an organization as seen in research through the years.
- The concept of job satisfaction and techniques on how to instill this into the workforce by understanding the factors that motivate and discourage them.
- A step-by-step guide for leaders and agencies to improve job satisfaction.
Some of the questions raised by the audience are about:
- Internal versus external value.
- How awareness and empathy can go miles in terms of healing trauma and fostering a positive work environment.
- Survey instruments and other tools to better gauge workplace morale.
Resources and Handouts
- Employee Engagement and Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- Book: It’s the Manager (Gallup)
- Paul Harvey Video: Policeman
- Handout: Tips for Increasing Job Satisfaction
- “Dr. Obed Magny was engaging. The content that he presented was good and relatable. He shared concepts that are easily applied in the workplace. Mahalo.” — Bridgette
- “Everything about all that Obed had to say was perfect insightful and just great.” — Aynsley
- “How important it is to improve morale and reduce stress with the employees in an Organization so that there can be a better workflow and increase the positive relationship with the community. Very practical and informative!” — Beverley
- “The personal role and responsibility leadership has to the employees’ job satisfaction and retention Good presenter!” — William
- “Loved the energy! Loved the compassion and passion for LEO work and self care! Will definitely be reaching out about resources for organizational stress and how to manage that! Awesome job Doc!” — Jeri