Any agency that delivers services to the community understands the value in engaging the citizens and that return on investment is measured through the trust earned. It’s another story though how to do just that.
One of Justice Clearinghouse’s regulars, Corey Yunke is back to discuss the importance of meaningful community engagement and how a Minnesota Police Department implements it. Corey’s experience runs the gamut having worked with a Fortune 500 company, a non-profit, and law enforcement. He is currently the Community Relations Coordinator for Roseville Police Department in Minnesota.
In this course, Corey walks us through:
- An overview of Roseville, MN and its law enforcement workforce.
- Differentiating outreach from engagement where outreach focuses on a short-term exchange while engagement maintains an ongoing interaction.
- Optimizing the use of outreach and engagement where they’re applicable through strategic communication.
- The critical role of having a mission and/or values statement as a reminder of the purpose and goals of an agency or initiative.
- A look into Roseville’s mission and values statement and case examples of how Roseville advocated these through community engagement.
- The importance of remaining intentional and purposeful to remain focused on the mission, vision, and values of the agency.
- Case examples that demonstrate how to engage with the community personally or digitally by seamlessly integrating the mission and values statement into the initiatives.
- The segment of the population to focus agency engagement efforts into.
- Corey answered the audience’s questions and clarifications about:
- The structure of Roseville’s community engagement unit.
- Convincing leadership on the importance of maintaining a community relations position or unit in an agency.
- Raising other officers’ and stakeholders’ awareness on the value of community engagement for the agency and fostering a community-engagement-centered agency culture.
- Roseville PD’s collaboration efforts with NYFS.
- Determining the types of content to push on social media.
- Measuring the impact of and identifying new opportunities for community engagement initiatives and activities.
- Capturing the demographic segments within your community.
- “Defining and clarifying the differences between outreach vs engagement! Bravo! Well done!” — Devorra
- “I liked the positive community involvement ideas that were in the presentation.” — Monique
- “The personal stories were engaging and lead to a better understanding of the materials.” — Samantha
- “Excellent program for small agencies.” — Robert
- “Excellent job Corey! I always enjoy your webinars, because they focus on the heart of community building.” — Nicholas